THE SO FREE ART PODCAST
A look at an ickle article entitled ‘15 Tips for Better Character Design with David Melling‘, from issue 201 of the art magazine ImagineFX.
This was such a cool article to study from; not only is it full of cute characters, and beautiful images, but it’s bursting with character design wisdom bombs too!
Some of the topics include:
- Character Connection and Relationships,
- Gesture Drawing,
- Character Sheets,
- Character Design Body Language,
- How Everything has Story,
- A new Fun Drawing Exercise called Sequential Drawing,
- Anthropomorphic Design,
- Expressive Silhouettes,
- Being Open Minded,
- How Keywords are Key,
- Mickey Mouse’s Ears,
- Silent Narrative,
- and we have some Kitty Kisses :)
The thumbnail for this episode, shows the character Ruffles by David Melling.
Hope you enjoy this one.
• Official Website for Artist David Melling
• Draftsmen Podcast S03E8 : Concept Art
• 3 Point Perspective Podcast
• Proko Figure Drawing Course
• Artist Maurice Sendak (who created the Fantasy Sketches drawing exercise)
• How To Be A Children’s Book Illustrator, by 3dtotal publishing Art Book video
• ImagineFX Magazine Issue 201 Click Look Video