B is for Boring Exercises, where I talk about a drawing exercise, that while boring at times, is valuable for improving your hand to eye coordination
C is for Crap Drawings, where I talk about how crap drawings seem to be part of the process of creating good drawings
O is for Orange, which somehow gets me talking about spheres and how they’re good for practicing shading
This weeks lil ART TIP is USE A MAKEUP BRUSH TO KEEP YOUR DRAWINGS CLEAN, TIDY AND SMUDGE FREE :)
Hope you enjoy this one. If you want to share your own A to Z of art for me to read on the show, or if you have any questions/topics you’d like discussed in future episodes, please get in touch. You can message me down the bottom of this page, or by sending me an email
This weeks Inspirational Quote goes to Claire Cook
“IF PLAN A DOESN’T WORK,
THE ALPHABET HAS 25 MORE LETTERS...“
– Claire Cook
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE
LINKS DISCUSSED ON THE SHOW
• Abstract Painting Podcast – A was for Abstract Painting, and this was episode 18 of the So Free Art Podcast, where I talked about Abstract Painting :)
• Blind Contour Drawing – This is the drawing exercise I mention during the letter B, which was boring exercises :)
• Battery Operated Eraser – I’ve looked online and a Battery is a form of electric, so this could also be classed as an Electric Eraser, which was what I said for the letter E
• Gordon King’s Inspirational Artist page – Gordon King was what I said for G, the man who started the entire Inspirational section :)
• Dayana Crunk’s Inspirational Model page – I spoke about Dayana Crunk with the letter i which was Inspiration
• Tombow Mono Eraser Pen review – K was for Knife, which I use when cutting up my Mono Eraser Pen for a nice sharp clean edge
• Lee Hammond’s How to Draw lifelike Portraits from Photographs book review – Lee Hammond has been massively important in improving my art, and she popped into my head when I came to the letter L :)
• Segment Drawings Overview – I talk about this when talking about Lee Hammond, as she’s the one who created this drawing exercise that I adore so much
• Isn’t It Uncomfortable Drawing a Nude Model? – I refer to this blog post when I reach the letter N, which was all about Nudes
• Perfectly Me Book – An Exploration of Body Love and Acceptance, with Margaret McKerihan and Julie Brooker. I talk about this book during the letter N word of Nude
• Scotch Removable MAGIC Tape Review – this is the magic sellotape I talk about during the letter S, which was sellotape
• Bert Dodson Keys to Drawing Book – I talk about this book with the letter X, which is X-ray vision, something Bert Dodson taught me via this book
• Zest it Pencil Blend – this stuff is lovely, perfect for blending Prismacolor premier coloured pencils, and perfect for coming up for something with the letter Z :)
• YOUTUBE @SophieLawson – including Sophie’s lil Art tips and some of my Pencil Drawings :)
• TWITTER @SophieLawsonArt – Come say hello, I post stuff on here sometimes … not at the moment though lol
HAVE A COMMENT OR TOPIC FOR THE SHOW?
Send me a message, using the form below, and I’ll see what I can do :)
“I LIKE THE COLOUR YELLOW, BECAUSE IT REMINDS ME OF THE SUN, AND I LIKE THE SUN.“
– Sophie Lawson
This weeks lil episode could be the last one before they put me in a Mental Asylum lol It starts out talking about how I think I need to go back to basics with my Art, before I bounce all over the place asking questions like: What are we Doing here? Are Introverts Aliens? What is Rest? Is the Subconscious an External Source? Are some Thoughts other Peoples Feelings? … I also talk about AI, Virtual Reality and Out of Body Experiences, as well as this weeks lil Art Tip, which is how to Grid a Pencil Drawing without putting any lines on your paper. This one is a lil all over the place, but hopefully you enjoy it :)
This weeks lil podcast is all about Trees; I think everyone should get themselves a little tree friend, they’re like a pack of smarties … they always have the answers :) I talk about my wise Tree Friend, Lucid Dreaming and do a bit of sketching outside at Saltrum, before my lead runs out.
This lil episode is about how Making Art should be Fun, and a time to Play. I realised something this week, I don’t enjoy realistic pencil drawings as much as I used to, which scared me at first until I realised, if you’re not having fun, stop doing it :) I also share another Lucid Dream experience, and this weeks lil Art Tip is about avoiding eye strain while Digitally Painting :)
This weeks lil podcast is all about Pencil vs Ink, and what I’ve noticed so far after 20 days of Inktober 2018. I talk about the Paradox of Inks, how they’re both similar and totally different to Pencils at the same time, there’s also the lil Art Tip, which is about Nipping Tings in the Bud, and there’s a teeny bit about Reality Checks and Lucid Dreaming at the end too. Hope you like this one :)
This lil episode covers a lot of topics, but mainly it’s about my early experience of using Lucid Dreaming to help heal from Child Abuse … I also talk about Virtual Reality with PSVR, are Videogames bad for you?, a Reiki Healing ‘Healing crisis’, Following Your Bliss, Genital Reassignment Surgery and how I think from time to time we all have to stop and ask ourselves … What do I really want From Life?
On this episode I talk about Self Awareness and Art … Learning how to Draw is all about Self Awareness, such as being aware of Negative Spaces, but it doesn’t have to stop with the Art. This same Self Awareness can be used to start tackling mental issues like OCD, Social Anxiety and even heal suppressed emotional situations from our life. Art is powerful, it always seems to lead to Self Awareness, which seems key to self healing.
This lil one is all about Inktober, and some of the tings I’ve learnt over the first 5 days. I talk about how Scary it can be to Commit to an Ink Line knowing you can’t Erase it, Some of my Smudging Struggles and how Pencil Drawing seems to be the most important Art skill. The lil Art Tip is how a scrap piece of paper can be used to help check your Proportions when Drawing, and I throw in a lil bit about Consciousness at the end, and how I think the future could be the past :)
On this episode I talk about Self Doubt, and how I’m starting to realise, with the help of Lucid Dreaming and Automatic Writing, that Self Doubt is a fear that shouldn’t be something to run away from, but instead embraced, with the Loving arms of Action.
In this lil episode I talk about an experience I had on the bus today that was both funny, and awkward at the same time … but it made me realise how Social Anxiety, Fears and everything in life can be viewed either positively or negatively. I share some Art, Transgender and even Lucid Dreaming experiences too, that prove we really are in control of our thoughts.
This lil one’s all about finding Focus and Balance by Waking Up Early, something I’ve just started doing, and so far, so good … it almost feels like I’ve magically created extra hours in the day :) I also talk about a couple Lucid Dreams and the lil art tip of the week is to do with pencil cases :)
“Podcasts are Music for the Mind.”