THE SO FREE ART PODCAST
What is Gesture? Let’s find out, as we look at an Art-ickle called ‘Gesture and Pose with Ida Hem‘, from the Art Book ‘Creating Stylized Characters by 3dtotal Publishing‘.
This is part one of two, and focuses on: What is Gesture? Squash and Stretch, and Building up from a Gesture. Next week we’ll be looking at the rest of this ickle article, and cover Capturing Gestures, and Exploring Personality & Gesture.
- What Do You Think Gesture Is?,
- The Line of Action,
- Ida Hem’s Retro Cartoon Art,
- How We Don’t Like Stiffys,
- How Gesture helps to Create Powerful Silhouettes,
- How Shapes Tell Stories,
- Bert Dodson and Trigger Words,
- Becoming the Character by Physically Posing,
- How Squashing and Stretching is like Pinching and Pulling,
- Comparing Good and Bad Poses,
- The process of Building Up From a Gesture,
- lil Art Tip of Visualising String being Attached to your Characters,
- Exaggeration is key for Dynamic Poses,
- Facing Your Art Fears,
- Body Language,
- Shifting Characters Weight via Contrapposto (Counterpoise),
- What Are T-Poses?
- And there’s a click review of the book ‘The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho‘.
I learnt a lot studying from this article, hope you do too :)
• Ida Hem Website
• @IdaSomethingHem – Ida Hem on Instagram
• Burning My 20,000 Gesture Drawings
• Proko Figure Drawing Course
• QuickPoses Gesture Drawing Resource
• Click Look Video of the art book ‘Creating Stylized Characters by 3dtotal Publishing’